A nice slideshare on Mobile2:
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Yesterday we handed out the Nokia N80's and got students underway with WiFi accecss while we're waiting on Vodafone to sign students up on voice and data plans (C'mon Vosafone - get your act together!!!).
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
PS - it was a fun session - a bunch of enthusiastic students and two enthusiastic Tutors as well!
A huge thanks to Thom Cochran from the Unitec CTLI (Centre for Teaching and Learning Innovation) who came into studio this morning and ran a session on blogging and mobile blogging.
The staff along with Thom are researching into the effectiveness of mobile blogging and how it might contribute to or enhance teaching and learning. The Bachelor of Product Design is based upon the 'classic' studio teaching model and through our research project we aim to disrupt this model and seek a new model(s) for the programme. Thom is running another research project with the Landscape Architecture Department and both these projects will be contributing to his PhD studies.
Today we gave out Nokia N80's to a 8 selected students. The N80's come with folding bluetooth keyboards to make copy writing that much easier.
All students in the 3rd year are required to blog as part of their final year projects but these 8 will be taking part in the mobile blogging research project. Each client has been encouraged to take part in the blogging process and to interact with the students whenever possible.
DesignProjects3 11/03/08 8:59 PM DesignProjects3 mobile blogging ctli"
Friday, March 07, 2008
12 students – students volunteer to participate using provided iPod Touch.
Technology Steward (Thom Cochrane – CTLI)
The main focus of this project is on the support and enhancement of face to face teaching and learning by using mobile wireless devices (iPod Touch) as a means to leverage the potential of current and emerging collaborative and reflective e-learning tools (e.g. blogs, wikis, RSS, instant messaging, podcasting, social book marking, etc…). These are often called “social software” tools. The iPod’s wireless connectivity and data gathering abilities (e.g. photoblogging, video recording, voice recording, and text input) allow for bridging the on and off campus learning contexts – facilitating “real world learning”.
The learning outcomes for students are
- Developing critical reflective skills
- Facilitating group communication
- Developing an online eportfolio
- Developing a potentially world-wide peer support and critique network
- Learning how to maximise technology to enhance the learning environment across multiple contexts
Students and teaching staff will be provided with an iPod Touch (16GB) for the duration of the trial (2008). Internet connectivity will also be available via Unitec WiFi network while on campus. This provides faster, free web access while on campus.
The project will be guided and supported by weekly “technology sessions” facilitated by Thom Cochrane (CTLI).
The core activity of the project is the creation and maintenance of a reflective Blog as part of a course group project. However the iPod can be used to enhance almost any aspect of the course:
The project will use the iPod Touch and PCs (Macs) for the following activities:
- A reflective Blog (Vox.com)
- An eportfolio (Vox.com)
- Email (GMail)
- RSS (Newsgator.com)
- Shared Calendars (Google Calenders)
- Image Blogging (Flickr)
- Video Blogging (YouTube)
- Instant Messaging and Skype
- Shared bookmarks (Delicious)
- Accessing the Course Management System (Blackboard)
- Document reading (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, PDF using QuickOffice and Google Docs)
Monday, March 03, 2008
- * Flickr Poto Sharing m.flickr.com/h
- * YouTube m.youtube.com/
- * Wordpress Blog m.wordpress.com/
- * Vox Blog www.vox.com/
- * Google Reader www.google.com/reader/m/view/
- * Google Calendar www.google.com/calendar/render
- * Google Docs docs.google.com/
- * GMail mail.google.com/
- * Pownce m.pownce.com/
- * Picasaweb photo sharing picasaweb.google.com/home
- * Google Maps maps.google.com/
- * MobileWebDocs www.mobilewebdocs.com/
- * iPocket Bible www.ipocketbible.com/go/login.asp
- * Netvibes Homepage iphone.netvibes.com/
- * SnapMyLife www.snapmylife.com/
- * Skype for iPhone s4iphone.com/index_iphone.jsp
- * AIM Instant Messaging x.aim.com/ty/#_startPage
- * JWire - find free WiFi hotspots iphone.jiwire.com/
- * Stopwatch www.kudit.com/desktop/kudit.php?shortname=stopwatch&success=false
- * Bloglines RSS Reader www.bloglines.com/mobile
- * Zoho MS Office mini.zoho.com/iZoho.jsp
- * Mundu Instant Messaging iphone.mundu.com/
- * Newsgator RSS Reader m.newsgator.com/iphone.aspx
- * iGoogle Homepage www.google.com/ig/i
- * Mobile Delicious Social Bookmarking mobilicio.us/